As the New Year quickly approaches, this means new medical benefit plans are just around the corner for many people also. Now is a great time to make sure you understand your benefits, new or old, and that you’re getting the best possible benefit from your plan. Here a few tips to help you get the most from your medical benefits in 2018:
- Know Before You Go – Knowing the basics of your health insurance benefits will make you a more confident and well-prepared consumer. Understanding how your plan operates and basic information such as your deductible, copay and out-of-pocket maximum will give you a better idea of how much you can expect to pay.
- Research - A little bit of research before you head to the doctor’s office or pharmacy can make a big difference. Confirming that your doctor is in-network, especially if you recently changed plans, will ensure you get the best possible rate.
- Ask questions – Don’t be afraid to ask your doctor if a medication they prescribe might have a lower cost alternative or how much they expect a suggested procedure to cost.
- Speak Up – While your annual preventive care visit should be covered at no cost to you, other tests (or even questions you ask) may not be categorized as preventive and that means you could be charged. You can always ask your provider at the beginning of your appointment to make you aware of any topic or procedure that is discussed will not be considered preventive.
- Double Check – After your appointment, make sure to read your Explanation of Benefits (EOB) carefully to check that the charges match the appointments and procedures that were performed.
Understanding health insurance benefits can be a daunting task, especially with the constantly changing health care environment. Fortunately, the Health Trust and their team of professionals are here to help you navigate your employee benefits. For more information, contact Capital Benefit Services at 425-641-8093.
Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year!